The Helicopter Flying Handbook is designed as a technical manual for applicants who are preparing for their private, commercial, or flight instructor pilot certificates with a helicopter class rating. Certificated flight instructors may find this handbook a valuable training aid, since detailed coverage of aerodynamics, flight controls, systems, performance, flight maneuvers, emergencies, and aeronautical decision-making is included. Topics such as weather, navigation, radio navigation and communications, use of flight information publications, and regulations are available in other Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) publications.
- Introduction to the Helicopter
- Helicopter Aerodynamics
- Helicopter Flight Controls
- Helicopter Components, Sections, and Systems
- Rotorcraft Flight Manual
- Helicopter Weight and Balance
- Helicopter Performance
- Helicopter Ground Procedures and Flight Preparations
- Helicopter Basic Flight Maneuvers
- Helicopter Advanced Flight Maneuvers
- Helicopter Emergencies and Hazards
- Helicopter Night Operations
- Helicopter Effective Aeronautical Decision-Making
This section conforms to pilot training and certification concepts established by the FAA. There are different ways of teaching, as well as performing, flight procedures and maneuvers, and many variations in the explanations of aerodynamic theories and principles. This handbook adopts a selective method and concept to flying helicopters. The discussion and explanations reflect the most commonly used practices and principles.
This section is based on the FAA Helicopter Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-21B 2019.